Sunday 1 May 2011

Stairs! God damned stairs!

Finished the stairs yesterday, they took some time. Every step had to be the same so the angle wouldn't become too steep on the runners. The staircase is free-standing at the moment but I'll probably bolt/screw it down once we get the set to university.

I also "plastered" the wall facing the bar, the staircase sides are made out of hardboard where one side is smooth and one side pitted, I decided to put about a 3mm thick layer of polyfill onto the board to make it look like its actually been plastered! Once its dry I'll sand it down and undercoat it.


I stained the wood using some (very old) wood stain I found in the garage, before that however I sanded down the middle of the stairs with some sandpaper wrapped around a tube. This left a slight but apparent indent down the treads, so that when I stained the wood it looked worn.

What Im going to do next is sort out the walls, the back wall is just propped up against the stairs at the moment, but im going to strengthen them with lengths of wood and work them the whole way around. Then I need to finish the flooring and add the second segment on the board. The problem is everything has to come apart so I can transport it to university!

Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment